Home > Higher Education > Applying for a Maintenance Grant

Applying for a Maintenance Grant

By: Louise Tobias BA (hons) - Updated: 14 Jun 2020 | comments*Discuss
Grant Loan Income Support Maintenance

With the average student on an ever-tighter budget, finding any way to boost your income can be a fantastic help. And if you can find a way to do so without having to get a job that might infringe your opportunities to study, it’s even better.

So it’s a good idea to look into whether either the Maintenance Grant or the Special Support Grant could be available to you, to help with costs such as accommodation, travel, any special support costs or just the various expenses of living!

What is the Maintenance Grant?

The Maintenance Grant is an amount of money that you could be eligible for while you’re enrolled in higher education. It’s a grant - which means you don’t have to pay back the cash - and it comes from the government. It’s aimed at students from low income families, and is means-tested, so you will only be able to receive the cash if your family income comes within certain boundaries.

Alternatively, if you are classified as an independent student - for example, you are married, or have proof that you do not receive financial support from your family - then the means-tested income will be your own.

How Much Will I Receive?

That all depends on your total income, or, usually, that of your household - so your mum and dad’s total income. If that amount is less than £25,000, you will receive the maximum amount of £2906, but that amount will go down as your total household income goes up.

The cap, above which you do not receive any maintenance grant, is £50,020 - so if your household income (total salaries and any other earnings) is more than that, then you can’t apply for this grant.

How Can I Apply for a Maintenance Grant?

You don’t have to apply to be assessed for this grant separately - just by applying for a student loan, your case will be considered automatically. However, if you do not want to apply for a student loan or have another reason to want to apply separately, you can use forms PN1 and PR1, available from Student Finance England, to apply directly.

How Will I Receive the Grant?

The grant will be paid in three instalments, and usually you will receive each one at the start of each term. Normally this will be paid directly into your bank account, although other arrangements may be possible, such as receiving a cheque or having it paid into a nominated relative’s account, for example.

What is the Special Support Grant?

This is available for students living in households which receive other government benefits, such as Income Support or another means-tested benefit, for example Housing Benefit. This grant does not affect your eligibility for a maintenance grant, although if you are deemed to qualify for the assistance of a special support grant, you may receive a reduced amount of maintenance grant. Check with your university finance support expert to find out more about your individual case.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I m somya khan from jaipur and I m a student of b.u.m.s. first year my father is poor nd he can't afford to pay my clg fee 1 lakh 40000bt I need to submit my fee pls help me it's my future ??I don't have .one year plsss plss pls help me
Somy - 12-Dec-18 @ 5:28 AM
i will be greatful if my request is granted thank u
emma - 12-Mar-16 @ 8:11 PM
I am supporstto report to jaramogi oginga odingauniversity in January and do not have enoughtuitionfee..so I'm just requesting if you could finance me please
dan - 30-Dec-15 @ 8:34 PM
i want to join UDOM for the first year 2015/2016 with course of BED SCIENCE WITH ICT. and problem is about tution fee which cost per year isabout 1200000/= for three years is needed about 3600000/= to myside i cant eble to affod. my i beg loan for tution fee only .
debla - 28-Feb-15 @ 7:11 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: